Garmin Nuvi 8XX, 5XXX and 9xx runs linux
Right now linux is everywhere even in embedded devices. Even Garmn Nuvi series 8XX, 5XXX and 9xx are running linux. So if they are running linux that means they need to release their modifications and sources for this devices. Garmin already published sources here.
The hardware of this devices differ from at device to other but are almost the same:
* Processor — Monahans (Marvell PXA/3xx)
* Memory — “solid state” storage, and probably 64MB of RAM
* Display — 4.3 inches (10.9 cm); 3.81 x 2.25 inches (9.7 x 5.7 cm); 480 x 272 pixels, WQVGA color TFT
* Bluetooth — 1 x Bluetooth 2.0; hands-free dialing feature
* Dimensions — 4.9 x 3.1 x 0.7 inches (12.5 x 7.8 x 1.8 cm)
* Weight — 6.2 ounces (176 grams)
* Battery — removable, rechargeable lithium-ion; up to 4 hours
* Expansion — 1 x microSD slot
* USB — 1 x USB port; optional USB mass storage device is compatible with Windows or Mac OS X only
* Other features — FM transmitter; headphone jack/audio line-out; Garmin Lock anti-theft feature
The software used on this devices is:
matchbox window manager
Off course this is just the most important software what is used not all.
The prices are not such high for such a device. For example Garmin Nuvi 885 costs ~249$ and it knows:
– speach recognition
– bluetooth hands free
– real-time local weather, traffic, movie times, gas prices, stock information, and local news and events
– MP3 player, audio book player, JPEG picture viewer, currency converters, games, and an alarm clock.
– FM transmitter